Skip to main content

Being a hospitalist and watching our hospital get digital

Since quitting my primary care job 2 months ago I have been working at our local hospital as a "hospitalist". I take 24 hour shifts, several in a row, and during those shifts I am responsible for taking care of all of the patients admitted to the hospital whose doctors can't care for them in that setting. This ends up with me being a consultant for some patients who are particularly complex and time consuming and being the primary doctor for patients whose doctors don't have hospital privileges or are out of town or who don't have a doctor at all. I meet lots of interesting people and get to know them and do the diagnosing, communicating and treating that they need until I go off duty. For many of these people I miss being able to see the whole illness through, like I used to do. It is freeing, though, to know that my responsibility ends at a certain time.

My days vary from extremely busy, where I can't even answer a phone call from my family and have to keep multiple juggling balls in the air all the time, to relaxing, where I can talk to nurses about their vacations and pester the ultrasound technicians to show me how to do imaging. I can sometimes leave the hospital during the day if I need to do something, and sometimes I can barely find a moment to jam some food in my mouth, and don't get to sleep much at night. Our hospitalist program is just getting going and we are working on making processes in the hospital fit us. We are trying to standardize our documentation (admission and progress notes) and still are pretty haphazard with regard to knowing exactly what and how to bill. We are a small hospital so we have only one hospitalist working at any given time, and we rotate shifts according to the demands of our lives and the availability of other doctors to fill in. We fill extra spots with doctors in the area who do this sort of thing and doctors from further away who we get through a physician recruiter.

Many small hospitals just hire a group that provides hospital services to do the whole program, hiring physicians, standardizing signouts, billing and that sort of thing. This is expensive, since the hospital pays heavily for the administrative services as well as the doctors. If a doctor doesn't work out (and in our experience, that does happen) there may be some conflict between the hospital and the hospitalist company. It's very much like the difference between hiring a babysitter oneself vs using an agency. I am glad our hospital is doing it our own way since it allows us to figure out what works best for us and keeps the lines of communication simpler. If we can't fill our spots, though, I bet the hospital administration will get desperate and hire a company.

Next month I will be working at a hospital a few hundred miles away which is larger than ours and which gets its hospitalists from a large hospitalist company. I will get a chance to see how a big operation does this stuff, which may help our organization stay independent. I will plan to continue to work at least some shifts at our hospital which will help me share what I learn. I will be working 12 hours a day for 7 days and then will have a week at home to recover. I'll be doing lots of driving.

Tomorrow is the last day of a block of 4 shifts that I have worked. It has been really busy. I think that everyone waited until Christmas was over to get sick and come in to the hospital because I've hardly had time to breathe. I have met lots of great people though. What has made work in December particularly challenging has been the fact that our hospital just adopted a computer system to handle nursing, ordering, lab and x-ray data. We had been inching along in that direction, but finally jumped into the deep end and now we have no lack of annoying hassles to commiserate about. The system comes from the McKesson company and is called Paragon. Superusers have been working on this for much of a year trying to write the program so it will fit us, but like all electronic medical records, it is full of weird little bugs, crashes, lags and unexplained inability to access what we need at inopportune moments. Some people are slower than others and we have had support staff resign over frustrations with it already. But having watched what happened when my outpatient office went digital, this is not as ugly.

I look forward to 2012, especially sleeping late on Monday and turning off my cell phone, however briefly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make your own ultrasound gel (which is also sterile and edible and environmentally friendly) **UPDATED--NEW RECIPE**

I have been doing lots of bedside ultrasound lately and realized how useful it would be in areas far off the beaten track like Haiti, for instance. With a bedside ultrasound (mine fits in my pocket) I could diagnose heart disease, kidney and gallbladder problems, various cancers as well as lung and intestinal diseases. Then I realized that I would have to take a whole bunch of ultrasound gel with me which would mean that I would have to check luggage, which is a real pain when traveling light to a place where luggage disappears. I heard that you can use water, or spit, in a pinch, or even lotion, though oil based coupling media apparently break down the surface of the transducer. Or, of course, you can just use ultrasound gel. Ultrasound requires an aqueous interface between the transducer and the skin or else all you see is black. Ultrasound gel is a clear goo, looks like hair gel or aloe vera, and is made by several companies out of various combinations of propylene glycol, glyce

Ivermectin for Covid--Does it work? We don't know.

  Lately there has been quite a heated controversy about whether to use ivermectin for Covid-19.  The FDA , a US federal agency responsible for providing unbiased information to protect people from harmful drugs, foods, even tobacco products, has said that there is not good evidence of ivermectin's safety and effectiveness in treating Covid 19, and that just about sums up what we truly know about ivermectin in the context of Covid. The CDC, Centers for Disease Control, a branch of the department of Health and Human Services, tasked with preventing and treating disease and injury, also recently warned  people not to use ivermectin to treat Covid outside of actual clinical trials. Certain highly qualified physicians, including ones who practice critical care medicine and manage many patients with severe Covid infections in the intensive care unit vocally support the use of ivermectin to treat Covid and have published dosing schedules and reviews of the literature supporting it for tr

Old Fangak, South Sudan--Bedside Ultrasound and other stuff

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Old Fangak, a community of people living by the Zaraf River in South Sudan. It's normally a small community, with an open market and people who live by raising cows, trading on the river, fishing and gardening. Now there are tens of thousands of people there, still displaced from their homes by the civil war which has gone on intermittently for decades. There are even more people now than there were last year. There is a hospital in Old Fangak, which is run by Jill Seaman, one of the founders of Sudan Medical relief and a fierce advocate for treatment of various horrible and neglected tropical diseases, along with some very skilled and committed local clinical officers and nurses and a contingent of doctors, nurses and support staff from Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders, also known as MSF) who have been helping out for a little over a year. The hospital attempts to do a lot with a little, and treats all who present ther