Skip to main content

Physician retirement--questions, thoughts, considerations...




I have been a practicing physician since finishing medical school in 1986. The year after that, I started my internship at the Johns Hopkins Hospital on the Osler medical service. I remember how excited I was about my salary of $17,000 that year. I called my mother. She was so proud. It was plenty to cover my food, apartment, gas for my VW Rabbit and essentially nothing else since I worked all the time.

By the time I finished my medical residency I was 28 years old and lived in Seattle where I was able to buy a house with my boyfriend (now husband) who was a scientist in a company that paid him a decent salary. My first job out of residency was with a healthcare cooperative, doing primary care and consulting internal medicine. After 4 years of that, I moved to rural Idaho where I have been ever since. For 17 years I was a "traditional internist" meaning I took care of my own patients in the office, took care of them when they were admitted to the hospital and provided some other services for the hospital and community as needed. I was on call every third or fourth weekend for myself and my partners and most evenings for my own patients. I was part of a larger clinic, but we were not salaried, keeping what patients or their insurance company paid for our services minus about 50% for overhead related to administration, billing, supplies and building costs. Primary care was not highly paid and I worked 3-4 days a week, so my earnings didn't go up much at all over the course of my career, which was actually fine. I lived close to my work--could ride a bike or walk when the weather was good, even skied to work a few times! No complaints. Still, it was a lot of work and a lot of responsibility and I fantasized almost every day about retiring, despite the fact that retirement was clearly decades away. As I fell asleep, I would think, "I will retire tomorrow and just lie in bed and read books." 

In 2011, I decided I was due a sabbatical and quit my job to learn new things, do locum tenens in 5 states, refurbish my internal medicine knowledge base and do some international medical work and teaching. Eventually I also took a position at my home hospital as a staff hospitalist, in addition to away work. My jobs were intense, well paid and I had significant stretches of time off. Many of my locum tenens assignments as a hospitalist were in places where the hospital system was dysfunctional and the workload high and most were far enough away from home that I slept in a hotel or airbnb and spent a day on either side of my 7 day work week just in transit. I learned a ton, met lots of people and provided good service, but it was exhausting and stressful. By 2019 I was done. 

Since then I have been employed as a consulting internist at a couple of community health centers in my area, 30 hours a week, 3 ten hour days plus commuting. (Also I teach ultrasound in my spare time.) I no longer take care of patients in the hospital and I do not take call. I get a salary and benefits. It is no longer grueling, only occasionally intense, and I still get to do what I love, which is see patients and work on solving their problems, relieving their misery and sharing their successes. Occasionally there are corporate bureaucracy related frustrations and I am not my own boss. But the main thing that creates tension (and we all know that tension leads to a good narrative) is that I am not retired.

I have practiced medicine for 36 years. I have a retired husband who would love to be able to go camping or hiking or canoeing or skiing with me when the mood hits. I have friends all over the country who I would love to see and I have never been to Yellowstone or the upper peninsula of Michigan. Not to mention I would love putting my back into battling climate change and hanging out with my twin sister. 

So what would it mean to be retired? What are the issues?

1. Enough money: I have looked at the internet on this question and realize that it's a very individual question. As a person without a boat or a plane or children in college or expensive hobbies, I'm fine. If inflation or climate apocalypse throws a curve ball, I feel confident in my ability to downsize and still be happy. I also have some salable skills if it comes to that.

2. Clearing my schedule: There are some things that I have agreed to do that I need to complete. I will need to avoid committing to things that mean retirement will let people down.

3. Am I really ready to quit being a doctor? Here's a big one, and one reason why some doctors work forever. Possibly why interventional radiologists retire early--that's more of a job and less of an identity. (Plus they make a ton of money.) When will I let my licenses lapse? My DEA certificates? My present job takes care of malpractice--when I leave I will have only the "tail" to take care of suits that might arise during the time I worked there. But without a practice, I should need no malpractice so I guess that's ok. Will I continue to update my knowledge base, and would I even remember new knowledge without a chance to use it? Right now this seems like amputating a healthy limb. And yet...the point of retiring is to start a whole new chapter. 

4. How long will I be retired? At what age am I planning to die? Not soon, for sure. I might have around 20 years of potentially vigorously healthy life ahead of me (knock firmly on wood) and then maybe 10 years of being very old. Is this too many years to be retired? Will I be irrelevant? Or will I slip back into the habit of being necessary and overscheduled? Will I simply slip out of the frying pan and into the fire?

5. Why am I retiring? Obviously I want to do all of the things that I can't do now. Wake up late, get rid of the stuff that I haven't had time to sort, sell, give away or throw away. Read those books. Write more. Learn to play more instruments. Paint the inside of the house, refinish that beautiful table with the water stains on it. Train the dog better. Just get in the car and go wherever it takes us. Teach more. Volunteer more. Work on climate change. Sew things. Make art. See old friends. Learn a few languages. Learn computer programming. To name but a few... 

There are deeply unpleasant things that I would not have to ever do again. And, despite the fact that I love taking care of patients, I have ethical misgivings about the practice of medicine.

6. Is it selfish to quit? It cost lots of money to train me. With 36 years of practice so far, I haven't exactly squandered my training, but I am still capable and I have skills that have accrued from many years of doing what I do. So perhaps I should continue to work until I keel over in my white coat, or my osteoporotic bones are finally squashed beneath the weight of my stethoscope. Shy of that, though, maybe doing good for people in the way I have been best trained to do it is important and I should do it at least until I'm obviously losing my edge. But who will notice? There is some wisdom in leaving at the top of my game.

7. Can I change my mind? Doctors do come out of retirement, or so I hear. After a few years, I will still have the intuition and some of the skills I need, but I might have to take a board preparation course and re-do my medical board exams to make sure I'm up to date. There are many classic old doctor options including teaching medical students, acting as a director for a nursing home, being a hospice doctor, reviewing charts for insurance companies, consulting, becoming a member of an advisory board or a consultant. A friend of mine served on the state legislature then went back to practicing medicine very part time. Experienced doctors are in pretty high demand. 

So...when shall I retire? I will continue to sit with that question. Perhaps I do not need to retire completely. Maybe a middle way exists. Or maybe I'll just retire tomorrow and stay in bed and read books.

Comments

herbert said…
Wow... I'm hearing Paul crooning "When I'm 64" as I finish reading this.. and also wondering if one of the unmentioned causes of your considerations here is the fairly recent cultural backlash against "science" (and "authority", and "vaccines" and the BS about "freedom", etc) that have swept through rural America, thanks to unwelcome external stimuli and years of anti-gov't propaganda.

Any one of your points could easily elicit a page or two out of me, in response... and I wish I was a friend- or even a patient- to whom you could unload & expand upon the reasons for feeling the way you do. Whatever you decide, I REALLY hope that you'll be willing to continue to observe- and comment upon- "American health care".. because there aren't enough salient observations, based on Experience(!), that are available to the "unwashed masses" here (including me).

The facts of your service, especially your willingness to go abroad & teach (& learn, too, I imagine) and your obvious desire to be a benefit to your patients & the community, while also being willing to question aloud the faults, anomalies, etc of the medical system here makes you a de facto "cultural treasure" (in my eyes, anyhow). I really hope that you'll 'hang in there' with this "doctoring" business on some level... even if that is a selfish wish on my part. You da bomb,Doc! ^..^

Popular posts from this blog

How to make your own ultrasound gel (which is also sterile and edible and environmentally friendly) **UPDATED--NEW RECIPE**

I have been doing lots of bedside ultrasound lately and realized how useful it would be in areas far off the beaten track like Haiti, for instance. With a bedside ultrasound (mine fits in my pocket) I could diagnose heart disease, kidney and gallbladder problems, various cancers as well as lung and intestinal diseases. Then I realized that I would have to take a whole bunch of ultrasound gel with me which would mean that I would have to check luggage, which is a real pain when traveling light to a place where luggage disappears. I heard that you can use water, or spit, in a pinch, or even lotion, though oil based coupling media apparently break down the surface of the transducer. Or, of course, you can just use ultrasound gel. Ultrasound requires an aqueous interface between the transducer and the skin or else all you see is black. Ultrasound gel is a clear goo, looks like hair gel or aloe vera, and is made by several companies out of various combinations of propylene glycol, glyce

Ivermectin for Covid--Does it work? We don't know.

  Lately there has been quite a heated controversy about whether to use ivermectin for Covid-19.  The FDA , a US federal agency responsible for providing unbiased information to protect people from harmful drugs, foods, even tobacco products, has said that there is not good evidence of ivermectin's safety and effectiveness in treating Covid 19, and that just about sums up what we truly know about ivermectin in the context of Covid. The CDC, Centers for Disease Control, a branch of the department of Health and Human Services, tasked with preventing and treating disease and injury, also recently warned  people not to use ivermectin to treat Covid outside of actual clinical trials. Certain highly qualified physicians, including ones who practice critical care medicine and manage many patients with severe Covid infections in the intensive care unit vocally support the use of ivermectin to treat Covid and have published dosing schedules and reviews of the literature supporting it for tr

Old Fangak, South Sudan--Bedside Ultrasound and other stuff

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Old Fangak, a community of people living by the Zaraf River in South Sudan. It's normally a small community, with an open market and people who live by raising cows, trading on the river, fishing and gardening. Now there are tens of thousands of people there, still displaced from their homes by the civil war which has gone on intermittently for decades. There are even more people now than there were last year. There is a hospital in Old Fangak, which is run by Jill Seaman, one of the founders of Sudan Medical relief and a fierce advocate for treatment of various horrible and neglected tropical diseases, along with some very skilled and committed local clinical officers and nurses and a contingent of doctors, nurses and support staff from Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders, also known as MSF) who have been helping out for a little over a year. The hospital attempts to do a lot with a little, and treats all who present ther