Skip to main content

Blog maintenance issues

This month the stats for this site showed that there have been over 10,000 views since its inception about 2 years ago. I was bragging about this to my 17 year old son, a computer whisperer, who has very little patience for my relative ignorance of the digital world. He gave me some advice, sort of the "queer eye for the straight guy" variety of advice. ( Reference: "Queer Eye" is a reality TV show where gay men give advice on fashion and lifestyle to clueless straight men.) Apparently it is amazing that anyone visits this site at all, for a number of reasons. The first is "TL;DR"--too long, didn't read. All anyone sees when they visit this site is a wall of words which is probably quite overwhelming unless the visitor is pretty darn determined.

The second is that there is hardly anything to grab the eye. I went with the packaged blogspot formatting and haven't changed it at all the whole time I've been writing. It is really quite attractive, I thought, but maybe the furniture needs rearranging.

And third, there are no photographs. I was thinking that most of what I write is kind of abstract and doesn't lend itself well to photos, and also before this minute I hadn't even checked to see how to put them in.

Thus the beautiful Haitian woman from the island of La Gonave carrying the aluminum bowl of laundry on her head. She has absolutely nothing to do with this post, but she did teach me how to upload photographs. Perhaps with future posts I can experiment with including random photographs of nature or something gorey from work. I could also just leave it like it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make your own ultrasound gel (which is also sterile and edible and environmentally friendly) **UPDATED--NEW RECIPE**

I have been doing lots of bedside ultrasound lately and realized how useful it would be in areas far off the beaten track like Haiti, for instance. With a bedside ultrasound (mine fits in my pocket) I could diagnose heart disease, kidney and gallbladder problems, various cancers as well as lung and intestinal diseases. Then I realized that I would have to take a whole bunch of ultrasound gel with me which would mean that I would have to check luggage, which is a real pain when traveling light to a place where luggage disappears. I heard that you can use water, or spit, in a pinch, or even lotion, though oil based coupling media apparently break down the surface of the transducer. Or, of course, you can just use ultrasound gel. Ultrasound requires an aqueous interface between the transducer and the skin or else all you see is black. Ultrasound gel is a clear goo, looks like hair gel or aloe vera, and is made by several companies out of various combinations of propylene glycol, glyce...

Actinic Keratoses and Carac (fluorouracil) cream: why is this so expensive?

First, a disclaimer: I don't know why Carac (0.5% flourouracil cream) is so expensive. I will speculate, though, at the very end of this blog. Sun and the skin: what happens If a person reaches a certain age, has very little pigment in her skin, and has spent lots of time in the sun, bad stuff happens. The ultraviolet radiation of the sun does all kinds of great things: it makes us happy, causes us to synthesize vitamin D which strengthens our bones and it gives us this healthy glow until we get old and wrinkled and leathery. And even that can be charming. The skin cells put up with this remarkably well for a long time, partly aided by melanin pigment which absorbs the radiation, which is why we tan and freckle, if we are fair skinned. Eventually, though, we absorb enough radiation that it injures the skin and produces cells which multiply oddly. It also damages the skin's elasticity which creates wrinkles. The cells which reproduce in odd ways peel, creating dry skin or...

More reasons why Medicare costs are too high: hospice care is grossly overpriced

Care of the dying is one of the most important jobs that a physician or nurse can have. Death, like birth, is a momentous and sacred transition, and good care can give peace and comfort to the patient as well as to his or her family and friends. The dying process is often painful and frightening and good, knowledgeable support can alleviate suffering for all involved. Hospice care has evolved since its inception in the 1400s to embrace support of the dying both in designated facilities and in patients' own homes. Once a patient and his or her doctor have come to accept that a disease is terminal and that death is imminent (usually 6 months of expected life left) hospice care can usually be arranged to allow a patients last days or months to be as pain and anxiety free as possible, providing caregivers with the help and support they need. Hospice services usually include home visits by nurses and nurse's aids, medications for symptoms control, social worker visits, grief couns...