Skip to main content

How to become a locum tenens hospitalist and why you may or may not want to

Locum tenens (literally "place holder") is professional work done to fill in where help is needed. It is what I have primarily been doing for the last year, and has been an interesting ride.

When I decided to leave my practice related to losing a couple of partners and wanting to update my knowledge base and re-evaluate my career, I decided to do locum tenens work. I had always thought that having the skills of a physician would be able to allow me to travel and interact with places and people in a meaningful way, have adventures, roll up my sleeves, get my feet wet, that sort of thing. It turns out that this is true. Doctors with certain skills, especially internal medicine and hospital medicine, are wanted all over the country, especially in small towns and rural hospitals, and locums are hired often to avoid catastrophe while a hiring a permanent physician.

I have worked in California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska in the last year and it has been really interesting and mostly gratifying. I have met new colleagues, made friends for life, seen lots of patients with mysterious and interesting problems and fascinating life stories and felt like I was useful and appreciated. I have also felt frantic and overextended, gotten lost, slept and ate less than was ideal.

There are many locum tenens agencies in the US that find jobs for physicians like me. They take care of helping facilities make sure that I am a legitimate doctor, not a serial killer or child molester, facilitate licensing in new states and make and pay for the arrangements that include travel, lodging and advocacy with the various organizations which hire me. For this they get about the same amount of money per hour that I do, so the client pays about double the amount that I am compensated to have me work. This is a LOT of money. It is a painful amount of money for the hospital to pay, so they really only use locum tenens doctors if they are desperate. Which means that, no matter how much they may like me at a given facility, they will rejoice when they can replace me with someone permanent. This means that I go to places, get to know people and systems, get good at them, am appreciated, then leave and never come back. They have the right to cancel my work within 30 days if they find someone cheaper to do it, and this has happened a couple of times. It is disconcerting, because it is often not possible to find new desirable work to replace what was planned with such short notice.

Becoming a locum tenens physician is easy: one simply contacts an agency online and then begins to fill out application forms and send countless documents to various places. It is time consuming but simple. Then a locums recruiter will call and begin to offer all sorts of jobs. If a job is interesting, the recruiter will send curriculum vitae information to the client and if the client is interested, phone interviews follow and if what they want is what the physician wants to provide, credentialing and scheduling follow.

I have found that different locums companies have different job opportunities and that I like some recruiters more than others. I have worked with Staff Care, CompHealth and Weatherby and have found them all to be honest and mostly easy to work with. The recruiter, though, makes money when I work, so they are all pretty proprietary about my time. In order to have a job when I want and where I want, I need to apply for more than one job at a time. If more than one comes through, I either have to work more than I want to or disappoint someone which makes me feel like a flake.

Full time work that pays much more than I made as a full time primary care doctor is 7 days a week, every other week, about 12 hours a day. This allows me to have real time off, which is great. Still, I spend lots of time on travel and lots of time away from my home, friends, family and dog. If I decide to do something creative in my off week, like attend a meeting or go on a trip, then I am away from home for 3 weeks in a row, which I virtually never did for the 20 years preceding starting locums. This is a little bit disruptive to anything that I have established at home, plus my dog gets really depressed.

Locum tenens work is a truly great option. It allows me to know that I will be able to stay busy in my field and make enough money to support my family and to have breathing space to do other important things. It is also not something that I will want to do as a primary occupation for very long.

Comments

duckookie said…
I've seen Maddie out and about. If that is depressed, I'd hate to think about what kind of energy she would have if she were happy. Still, we all miss you.

Popular posts from this blog

How to make your own ultrasound gel (which is also sterile and edible and environmentally friendly) **UPDATED--NEW RECIPE**

I have been doing lots of bedside ultrasound lately and realized how useful it would be in areas far off the beaten track like Haiti, for instance. With a bedside ultrasound (mine fits in my pocket) I could diagnose heart disease, kidney and gallbladder problems, various cancers as well as lung and intestinal diseases. Then I realized that I would have to take a whole bunch of ultrasound gel with me which would mean that I would have to check luggage, which is a real pain when traveling light to a place where luggage disappears. I heard that you can use water, or spit, in a pinch, or even lotion, though oil based coupling media apparently break down the surface of the transducer. Or, of course, you can just use ultrasound gel. Ultrasound requires an aqueous interface between the transducer and the skin or else all you see is black. Ultrasound gel is a clear goo, looks like hair gel or aloe vera, and is made by several companies out of various combinations of propylene glycol, glyce

Ivermectin for Covid--Does it work? We don't know.

  Lately there has been quite a heated controversy about whether to use ivermectin for Covid-19.  The FDA , a US federal agency responsible for providing unbiased information to protect people from harmful drugs, foods, even tobacco products, has said that there is not good evidence of ivermectin's safety and effectiveness in treating Covid 19, and that just about sums up what we truly know about ivermectin in the context of Covid. The CDC, Centers for Disease Control, a branch of the department of Health and Human Services, tasked with preventing and treating disease and injury, also recently warned  people not to use ivermectin to treat Covid outside of actual clinical trials. Certain highly qualified physicians, including ones who practice critical care medicine and manage many patients with severe Covid infections in the intensive care unit vocally support the use of ivermectin to treat Covid and have published dosing schedules and reviews of the literature supporting it for tr

Old Fangak, South Sudan--Bedside Ultrasound and other stuff

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Old Fangak, a community of people living by the Zaraf River in South Sudan. It's normally a small community, with an open market and people who live by raising cows, trading on the river, fishing and gardening. Now there are tens of thousands of people there, still displaced from their homes by the civil war which has gone on intermittently for decades. There are even more people now than there were last year. There is a hospital in Old Fangak, which is run by Jill Seaman, one of the founders of Sudan Medical relief and a fierce advocate for treatment of various horrible and neglected tropical diseases, along with some very skilled and committed local clinical officers and nurses and a contingent of doctors, nurses and support staff from Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders, also known as MSF) who have been helping out for a little over a year. The hospital attempts to do a lot with a little, and treats all who present ther